Sunday, February 26, 2012

Blog Post 5

Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff, Please?

Scott McLeod wrote this piece of satire about teachers who don't want their students to learn about technology. It was fairly stinging towards technologically inept teachers.

I've never thought that people needed to be taught to use the internet. I learned how to do most of the things I can do on computer at home by myself. I think it would be a great thing to teach kids to more easily access the internet and the knowledge stored on it.

It would have been very helpful to have had someone teach me how to use various tools on the internet. I have absolutely no idea what an RSS Feed is or its function. I've never needed to use one. There are many things on the internet I have no interest in that, perhaps, if I had been taught about I would consider more interesting. I think teaching kids to use the internet is a magnificent idea.





The iSchool Initiative

Travis Allen talks about all of the reasons iTouch should be used in schools. It would reduce the amount spent per student by six hundred dollars, it would ease student teacher communication, and it would be more environmentally friendly.

I think this is a fairly interesting idea, but I seriously doubt it will ever happen. It would need a lot more support than internet fame. You would need to convince the Department of Education, school boards, and teachers to use it, something I don't think will ever happen. It is an interesting idea I don't think will ever happen.


Technologically Literate Teacher

This is a cool little musical performance. I'm not quite sure what it has to do with teaching, but it is one interesting use of technology. It was very well edited, and I found it quite fun to listen to.


Teaching in the 21st Century

Kevin Roberts' video seems to be about students using the internet to solve disputed and garner interpersonal relationships. It also seems he thinks the internet should be used to teach responsibility and morals. This is something I disagree with to the point I can't properly put it into words. I think family and friends are the only proper place someone can truly learn about the world.



Reading Rockets

The Reading Rockets website is an enormous source of information for anybody.. Some of the resources I might actually use my self one day. There are resources that could be nearly mandatory to a new teacher. There are ways to find discount books for classrooms that might be underfunded. This site is amazing for a teacher of any subject.
Rocket

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jay, I don't disagree nor agree with you on the ideas of the iSchool. I do think it will take a lot of funding to be able to afford the iSchool and although every student will not get the chance to use it, some will. I think it's a matter of who's getting the funding to be able to use such forms of technology. I do agree with you that teaching children how to expand their use of the internet is a magnificent idea! I am in awe of how good some kids are at applying the use of the internet without the help of someone older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jay,

    I am glad that you understand the importance of technology, but it is so much more than just teaching children how to use the internet. This class does not just want everyone to "learn the internet," we want to foster a love of learning in these children that will drive them to really become involved in their educational career.

    Thanks,

    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jay,

    First I wanted to tell you that I enjoyed reading your post! You have your own opinions and that's great! I agree with you that the iSchool is interesting and a good idea, though I don't exactly agree that it will never happen. I honestly think it's possible but will take many years and lots of funds to actually happen. I also think it is so wonderful that children are being taught how to expand their use of the internet.
    I think Reading Rockets is such a cool site and can be very useful and helpful for teachers!

    Thanks for your post!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete