Sunday, March 11, 2012

Blog Post 7

The Networked Student

Wendy and Alex Drexler use little paper figures to highlight a Personal Learning Network. It discusses an American Psychology who doesn't have a textbook and does not attend lectures. She decides to use a PLN to gather all the resources she would get with the textbook and lecture. They then discuss the various reasons a teacher might be needed.

I think a PLN is a decent idea in this context. I still think you should attend classes,but this would be a great way to gain information you might have missed because of sickness or prior engagements. I really only think this should be used as a supplemental tool for college. I don't think is should completely replace classes.

I could never imagine more than a handful of high school students actually attempting this. They'll do the bare minimum to get a passing grade, if they do that much. Some of the high achieving students would gain a lot from these networks, but the majority would get their grade and then promptly forget they ever existed.


A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment

This 7th grader shows us the Symbaloo PLE she had set up for her science class. She had links to her class's blog, her own blog, learning games, sites about animals which she used in her research, a note taking program, and the email addresses of scientists who she consulted with about her bloag on the Box Jellyfish which she called a "Glog." I liked Evernote, a program which allows you to save anything from any website you visit and link it back to the PLE so you can give credit to the source in a simple manner.
Jellyfish anatomy

2 comments:

  1. Jay,
    You say some high school students do the bare minimum to get a passing grade if they do that much and I agree with you, however have you ever wondered why? Do you ever wonder what would happen to these students if their classroom was one like our EDM310, where they were not given “grades” and they had to create podcast, movies, and the use of Facebook and Twitter were a requirement? Do you think this would intrigue the minds of those that seem like they are only there to get a passing grade?
    I also find it interesting that you think this should only be used as a supplement and should not replace classes altogether. Before this semester I probably would have agreed with you 100% but after having EDM310, EDU310 (which is a hybrid course), and RED330, which is entirely online, my opinion has changed. I think I have learned so much more from collaborating with others through our online discussions and technology assignments. If I had to sit in a classroom and listen to a lecture, after having this experience this semester I would probably scream. I have through enjoyed creating the PLN and I think with proper guidance students can be taught how to create and change their PLN’s continuously so that it will be something they will use forever in whatever profession they choose. I think our goals as teachers should be to make the majority a minority.

    Interesting blog post, definitely food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It discusses an American Psychology who doesn't have a textbook and does not attend lectures." American Psychology is not a person yet this sentence is written as if that is the case.

    "I could never imagine more than a handful of high school students actually attempting this. They'll do the bare minimum to get a passing grade, if they do that much. Some of the high achieving students would gain a lot from these networks, but the majority would get their grade and then promptly forget they ever existed." If you substiture college students for high school students I would agree with you. Maybe I would replace "a handful" with "half". I would ask: Is it the fault of the student? The way our schools have operated all their lives? The teachers? The testers? The families? That is a very complex question.

    It seems you are not hopeful that we can change high school students. Maybe that is not the issue. Maybe we should try and change the schools. And the teachers.

    I thoroughly endorse Cassie's comment above. It is a comment which I hope you will take to heart!

    ReplyDelete